Wood shingles can offer your home a distinctive style, protecting it for 10 years or longer than common asphalt shingles. Wood shingles are generally cut from cedar and other types of wood, tapered to fit tightly in a pattern to protect a home from weather. Let the roofing experts at Strata Roofing and Construction, Houston, help you achieve the authentic appearance of custom-installed wood shingles for your roof.
Like all other roofing materials, there are advantages and disadvantages of wood shingles to consider.
Advantages of wood shingles:
- Environmental protection. Cedar wood shingles naturally resist heavy rains, strong winds, hailstorms, ultra-violet rays from the sun, and damage from insects and other pests.
- Durability. Wood shingles can last 25-35 years, compared to only 15-20 for asphalt shingles.
- Renewable resource. New trees replace those used to manufacture wooden shingles.
- Insulation. The natural insulating qualities of wood help cut the energy bills for cooling and heating a home.
- Improved aesthetics. Wood shingles offer a unique look to your home.
Disadvantages of wood shingles:
- Higher initial cost. Wood shingles are more expensive than asphalt shingles when installed, but their long life make them cost-effective over the long run.
- Maintenance concerns. Mold and other growths can grow on wood tiles, but can be controlled by proper maintenance.
- Less fire resistant. Wood burns easier than other roofing materials, but modern wood shingles are treated with fire retardant.
Wood Shingle Installation for the Houston Metro Area and Surrounding Communities
Strata Roofing and Construction offers a free consultation on wood shingle roofing, serving the Houston Metro Area and surrounding communities, including: Spring, Cypress, Sugarland, Katy, Rockport and Lufkin.
For homeowners considering historically authentic look of wood shingles to their homes, Strata Roofing and Construction provides the dependability and reliability of a professional roofing contractor that is fully licensed, bonded and insured in Texas and an Accredited Business with Better Business Bureau since 2008 with an A+ rating https://www.bbb.org/houston/business-reviews/construction-services/strata-roofing-construction-l-l-c-in-houston-tx-90003735). See the recent reviews from our customers at https://www.yelp.com/biz/strata-roofing-and-construction-houston-2. Strata Roofing is a certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor with GAF, a Certainteed ShingleMaster and Master Shingle Applicator with Saint-Gobain.